Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg absinthe fountain. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe but some distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that many of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How Do You Produce Absinthe at home?
However some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in several countries and you also require the right equipment and also you have to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or possibly a few weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation will provide you with a genuine Absinthe, this will just present you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available on the web, much like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs but you’re merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and creating a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and much better method to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are produced by distilling traditional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a true Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four distinct types:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a vintage “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe having a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can obtain a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe sparingly because it is a substantially stronger beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.