Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe however some distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will find that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Create Absinthe from home?
Although some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is against the law in many countries and you also need the right equipment and you need to find out what you are doing. So, are there any other methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or even a few weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation will provide you with a real Absinthe, this will just present you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available on the web, such as the ones from Green Devil, are only steeping kits. They are easier than finding and preparing your personal herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better approach to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are produced by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a real Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four different varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to make a classic “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This actually also has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe which has a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe with a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can either purchase a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or get a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic gauge and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe sparingly because it is a significantly more powerful beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which does not have a powerful taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.