How to drink Absinthe appropriately is the issue lots of people have once they have been able to get hold of a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France everybody knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the
culture and was even more common when compared with wine.
The information of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent years due to ban on Absinthe in most countries for many decades. In the United States it had been prohibited in 1912 and Absinthes like the “Lucid” brand have only just gone available for sale in the US in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe While using Standard “Ritual”
This is the genuine technique of preparing Absinthe utilized in pre ban times in the 19th century in France and Switzerland. There is an art to using this method and it is based on the use of a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe in an Absinthe glass or big glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon above the top of the glass and place a cube of sugar about the spoon.
– Carefully drip iced water over the sugar in order that the sugar dissolves and drips through the slots into your Absinthe. Either make use of an Absinthe fountain or dripper to regulate the dripping or work with a very steady hand to pour the water coming from a carafe.
– Observe the Absinthe louche (turn cloudy) as the water mixes in the alcohol.
– Appreciate your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe Using The Contemporary Bohemian or Czech Strategy
This is a more sophisticated method that is a little bit of fun and is scorned by a lot of Absinthe drinkers. It’s often combined with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes which have a lower alcohol content. Care has to be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe straight into an Absinthe glass.
– Saturate the sugar cube within the Absinthe after which put on an Absinthe spoon sitting on the rim of the glass.
– Employing a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and watch it as it caramelizes , melts and drips into the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Gradually pour iced water to the Absinthe to extinguish the flames and also to make the Absinthe louche.
– Ingest your Absinthe.
Percentages of water to Absinthe depend upon taste but a ratio which is between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the suggested dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously produced “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe and champagne, but there are plenty of other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do have to remember that Absinthe is certainly a strong Alcoholic beverage and is somewhere around twice the strength of other spirits just like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Blend 3 parts Absinthe with one part top quality vodka in an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish using a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Blend 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Put ice and after that stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe right into a cocktail glass with ice and top-up with tomato juice. Put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with salt and pepper.
There are many various ways of how to drink Absinthe and you could even invent your own cocktails.